I am not sure if I can claim that because I verbalized my summer daydreams that they are beginning to happen. After all I had this special "knitting night" planned before writing the summer daydreams post. But I can say that one of my summer daydreams is beginning...and that is such a good feeling.
After having been invited by a wonderful woman that Honey works with, I participated in a local knitting group. A great mix of experienced and novice knitters welcome! Luckily I was one of several novices who spent the evening just getting used to the feel of the needles, watching a small square of knit stitches growing larger. All along guided and encouraged by a woman who must have knitted one thousand sweaters before.
And now I am finding that I enjoy making my misshapen square into more of a misshapen rectangle. I realize it may not become anything, but I am enjoying the pace of knitting. And purling. I learned that too!
Eventually I will make something. Something usable or wearable. Anyone have suggestions for good first confidence-building projects?
In the meantime, I am practicing my knit one, purl one. And trying to keep the hands of the littles occupied with things other than the yarn balls and needles.
So I brushed up on finger knitting, as described in Amanda's Creative Family book. That might keep them occupied for a bit.
Maybe long enough for me to do one or two rows myself.
I was JUST looking at that finger knitting yesterday in A.'s book. I really want to teach it to my 5 year old.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on getting "hooked" on knitting. Looks beautiful so far!!!!
So happy for you Claudine!! Welcome to the knitting and yarning circle, it's a wonderful place to be :)!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! Love the photo of those little tiny arms holding that great big (or maybe it's rather average sized?) ball of yarn. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your beginning something new to you! I love hats for first projects... but my daughter has found little toys to be good too. Another one is this slipper pattern.
ReplyDeletehttp://mindie.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/duffers-a-quick-and-easy-19-row-felted-slipper-pattern/
It is all easy knitting... you could do it in no time at all!
i love the idea of hanging out with a group of women...all creating together...regardless of the skill level. so empowering!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the world of knitting, Claudine! When I first started, I learned the most from making dishcloths. They were quick, so not too cumbersome and they didn't seem like too big a chore. It gave me the opportunity to try different patterns. Also, it wasn't until my first striped dishcloth that I learned how to rip back my mistakes. From seeing where the loops were going, because of the different color yarns, I was able to fix my mistakes for the first time. Good luck and happy knitting!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck on your knitting adventure! My grandmother and step-mother are knitters - I am not. I'm too hyper to sit still for that long!
ReplyDeleteMy first crochet project was a little purse or makeup bag- I took a basic rectangle and folded it over - take the bottom corners & bring them up halfway (or what looks right on your piece) connect the sides then fold the rest of the rectangle down as a front flap - I attached a piece of velcro- I sewed in a liner with an old napkin & attached a fun flower on the front- It was cute & simple! good luck-
ReplyDelete