Naptime.
That glorious stretch of quiet when a Mama can do what is needed, or sometime even what she wants.
Some laundry, some reading, some watching of Downton Abbey. If really lucky, a sewing project that has patiently waited day after day.
Oh, if only it were so these days.
Lovey, in her quest (and our encouragement ) of becoming a bigger kid, seems to not want naps. She is straddling that tricky time of a little's life when one needs a nap, but there is far more exciting endeavors than resting your weary eyes. I am sure that I haven't helped so much when we don't do the exact. same. routine. every. day. (If only I were that kind of Mama. I am not. I doubt I ever will be.)
Though sometimes Mama-luck strikes and Lovey nurses a bit, nods off, her mouth slipping off of "milky" and I able to slip off of the bed and do those wonderful things I want to. This is rare.
Often naps begin that way, but with a sleeping, firmly-latched Lovey. When I try to unlatch a happily latched toddler, she cries. And cries. I cry. And cry.
Crying is not napping.
Then there are days like today.
Today I decided that after miserable crying yesterday, I may as well make the most of nap, and run errands with only one little in tow. After all, it won't be long that this time of day will only include one little.
Today I decided that after miserable crying yesterday, I may as well make the most of nap, and run errands with only one little in tow. After all, it won't be long that this time of day will only include one little.
So with a short list of stops; bank, paint store, jeweler, we made our way about town, glorious blue sky and sunshine surrounding us.
Then Lovey recognized the ice cream shop and said "we get ice cream?" her voice lilting up with the question and the hope.
Oh, ice cream with only one in tow. That is definitely something a Mama wants to do during Naptime.
What a fun way to spend nap time! My Katey rarely naps on a regular schedule any more. She is pushing three, and I am not willing to fight her most days. I don't think she's "done" yet, but I don't know how, with our busy and random schedules right now, to make it happen any better than it is. So... we push on, just like you do!
ReplyDeleteBlessings Mama! She's beautiful!
Gosh, I remember those days! Naptime is so precious for we mamas! And the little ones need the naps as much as we do. But then again, dropping the nap does provide some freedom (I was one of those mamas who is very into routine. Still am) and knowing I didn't have to plan my day around a nap was freeing.
ReplyDeleteIce cream...mmmmm!
Happy weekend, Claudine!
I'm the only napped left in our home and, surely, to nap is a rare treat. I think soon you will be thankful to have the baby's nap time as special 1-1 time for you and Lovey. Hang in there, my friend. This transition is jarring, surprising even. But I know you enough to know that you will make this beautiful and creative and uniquely you! Love you!
ReplyDelete