Thursday, February 23, 2012

what one packs

I took a tumble yesterday.  Pretty hard onto a cement sidewalk, while holding Lovey.

Lovey was fine.  I like to think partly because of some acrobatics on my part to turn my body just so as I inevitably lurched down toward the concrete.  I, however, got some pretty smart scrapes.  And a trip to labor and delivery, just in case.

My wonderful OB has always been generous with making reassurances that all is okay, and sometimes that means getting checked out, just in case.

My Mama instinct was telling me all was fine.  (And all was.)  But there is always that what if.

What if this will be it?  That for some reason you will go to the hospital and not be leaving until you have a brand new babe in arms.  What does one pack?

What does one pack when you haven't updated your birthing plan, when you haven't completed everything on your nesting list, when you haven't even made a list for what to pack in the birthing bag?

Well, this is what I quickly packed, pretty much in this order:


2 chocolate bars
My camera, with battery charger (when was it last charged anyway?)
A soft silky Happy Nappy made by Nonnie, just in case
A guardian angel medal
Notebook with pencil
Glasses
Comfy pants and sweatshirt and socks
Vitamin E stick, comb and a bit of makeup
And as an afterthought, reading material from next to my bed:  Natural Home and Garden magazine and the latest from SouleMama and Papa
I tossed in my ID and insurance card for good measure, which ended up being important

Funny how we are and what we do when the day's events change as quickly as a turned ankle and a fall to the ground.

Funny what we find essential at a moment's notice.

Funny it is.

And yes, writing my birth bag packing list is moving up in priority on the to-do list.  After all, absent from what I packed yesterday was a toothbrush.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so grateful that you are doing well and that everything is fine. Take care of you! And I'll get writing! Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I'm so sorry to hear what happened. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, look at your skinned knee! I am so glad you are ok. I love the items you packed. I can't wait to come on here and see a new baby in your arms. When are you due?

    P.S. I just got the new Soulemama book and I LOVE it! It is the best one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are ok! What an interesting packing list! That's one joy of a home birth... nothing to pack!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!