When our oldest was born, we held no routine for years. He slept anywhere, anytime, often in my arms. I easily nursed on the go. Meals were eaten when ready, not worrying about a bedtime or other structure. Naptime? Shnaptime! It worked easily. For. One. Child.
As our oldest grew (and our family grew) we were forced into the necessary routine that comes with starting Kindergarten. Then some carefully selected activities were added. Where there once was a family that didn't worry much about consistency, we've grown into a family of six that thrives in a predictable schedule. My staying home full time made for the ultimate shift in striving to keep each day simple.
I've come to appreciate the routine, as well as rely upon it to give rhythm to our days. I have found that the rhythm gives a sense of comfort and predictability to me, and to our kids. So much so, that we kept to the usual early bedtime for all but two of the nights of the recent holiday break from school. It was wonderful. (Did I really just say that? The 20 year old me just read that last paragraph and laughed out loud!)
Now don't think for a minute that there isn't spontaneity in our household, there is. We've just become more adept at picking those times carefully. Honey and I have learned our lesson (over and over and over) that a stop at the beloved ice cream shop before dinner just doesn't end well for us. Ever. A recent Friday night family meal at a friend's house, when we let the kids stay up well past their usual bedtime, garnered us four children in meltdown mode on the ride home. Not fun.
So you will completely understand how unsettling the last several weeks have been around here. The holiday break became the transition back to school, then became cleaning the lingering Christmas mess, then became sick day upon sick day, then became a long holiday weekend, then became snow days. Hrrpf!
No wonder I have been so tired. I've been expending all of my energy breathing deeply, to remain calm, to keep some semblance of routine, despite the turn-stile of happenings that would like it otherwise.
So here I am declaring an easing. An easing back into the goodness of our routine. The good that comes when, feeling comfortable and confident, we can indulge in the fun that naturally happens around here.
The fun of fresh air and homemade hot chocolate. Fun of learning new things and being creative. The fun of finishing good books and cuddling up with Honey to watch Market Warriors on PBS. The fun of saying "yes" to markering your faces. The fun of dancing with wild abandon in the living room to Munchkin's favorite Puppy Dog.
The fun of, ahem, our routine.
Claudine, being a woman of strict (some would say anal) routine, I hear you! After too many mornings of feeling lousy after staying up too late the night before, I keep to the same bedtime, even on the weekends. With Josh, we really need to keep to a routine, and I think we're a calmer family for it! Life can be so unpredictable - routine in the home provides a safe haven.
ReplyDeleteOh goodness I hear you. It's been awhile since I had to work around naptimes and feeding schedules but I remember that I lived and breathed by these routines or was a downright mess without them!!! It gets so much easier, and somehow dealing with after school programs, sports schedules, playdates, and piano lessons (I swear my kids aren't overscheduled!) is much easier than naptimes and feeding routines :).
ReplyDeleteWishing you loads of fun this weekend, may that be an integral part of your routines!!!
xoxo
Claudine - I can so relate. Our routine got thoroughly shook up from Christmas on (though we too worked really hard to keep those bedtimes on time... Isn't it funny what we now consider victories... ). And while we didn't have snow days, we had days last week where the boys couldn't go outside... What a reminder of just how important and balancing that fresh air can be!
ReplyDeleteI hope your easing is joyful and gives you all more room to breathe fully! ~Annie