Monday, September 19, 2011

getting it right

Quite a bit of creative play happens around here.  We've built many a fort.  There are loads of costumes and art supplies.  Almost any recyclable is game for being re-claimed for some type of craft project.  The kids have even turned the couch upside down, multiple times, to play sewers.  We now have the squeaky couch to prove it.  Ahem.

All of this creativity can sometimes be quite messy fun.


Just last week, I went into the family room to discover that Munchkin was playing, as he described it, "compactor."   Which, once he explained more made me realize that it really was "garbage truck," as it consisted of driving (while sitting in the footstool) and at various intervals loading toys trash from the room onto the couch.

Every. Toy. In. The. Room.


Okay,  I can go along with that.  But believe me my mind started to think about the task ahead of putting everything away. 

How in the world could I ever get him to put all of those toys away?

Now that takes some real Mama creativity.

Turns out, it is just as fun to pretend that you are driving a delivery truck and dropping off all kinds of toys to kids who need them.  Kids at schools, and parks, and museums, and hospitals.  The trick is you have to be quick and quiet, because it is a surprise delivery to the kids while they happen to be off doing something else, and the kids are about to return at any moment.




Sometimes, I get it right.

Oh, I almost forgot.  The art on the wall behind the couch.  Another creative project.  This one by Buddy.  The solar system, complete with asteroids and shooting stars.

Yep, pretty creative around here.

4 comments:

  1. Ha - I laughed out loud at this post, reminds me of our house after a play date

    http://sweetgeorgiathecraftysquirrel.blogspot.com/2011/09/hurricane-georgia-strikes.html

    Amazing how someone so small can make such a big "mess" in a short space of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly made me smile today. I had the same toy kitchen while growing up. A familiar sight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it! Sometimes I just have to remind myself to let it go and let them have their experience. I know you are great at that.
    Messy creatures, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your creative solution! I must tuck that one away in my brain for when my son is older.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!