Wednesday, September 21, 2011
so long summer
So it seems that fall has begun. Even though the calendar gives a smidgen more time, I know it is true.
I know because we used the last bit of sidewalk chalk last night. Chalk that had spilled out of the container a few days ago and left out in the rain. So it wasn't so much chalk anymore, but soggy bits of color which caked on our fingers and smeared on the bottoms of our shoes.
But to me, it was perfect. A project we all did.
Together.
Buddy and I had the job of filling each brick in completely. Munchkin and Lovey added the colorful embellishments. The goal was the whole patio, but the chalk dictated the final size of our art. As did the darkness coming in so quickly, and mosquitoes (darn that rain) urging us faster.
I felt deeply that bittersweet knowledge that we won't be spending many more evenings outside, instead cocooned in the comfort and light of home. We won't head out in shorts and sundresses and sandals, but layered with sweatshirts and socks.
Even though the pool has been closed for weeks and we are well into the school year, this felt like the last act of summer. So I let the kids stay up and chalk well past bath and snack time, even though only I knew it was our own little way of stretching that goodbye out as long as possible.
And I loved every collaborative, artistic, summery minute of it. So good bye summer, you've been so very good to us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love your mindfulness in this moment. Everything I hope for myself and take delight in seeing in others.
ReplyDeleteSo fun.. I love when we can all do something together as a family. Beautiful pictures!!!
ReplyDelete