Thursday, June 16, 2011

discovering {power tools}

So about this saw.

If you would have told me ten days ago that I would know how to use this saw, I would not have believed you.  I actually would have sworn that I would never use it, because it simply freaked me out, seemed way too dangerous.  Leave it to the professionals, thank you very much.

So here's my story, and how I gained an affection for this very saw.

I had the incredible opportunity to be part of a community building project.  As the dutiful volunteer I signed in and checked off the "unskilled" box next to my name.  (I didn't think that my experience with using a matte cutter and hand-held drill for picture framing necessarily counted.)



There were many jobs to be done, and a variety of skill levels needed to do them.  That first day I simply was assigned to help out a couple other people who knew what they were doing, they obviously checked the "skilled" box.

As it happened I had arrived at the site when there was a need for someone to fit into a small space and hand someone else a drill.

Okay, I can do that.  So I did.

I handed the drill to this guy, very skilled.  As a matter of fact, he was one of the leaders on the building project.


And when he couldn't reach the spot for drilling.  He handed the drill back to me.

Because I could reach it.  So I drilled.

So, that's where it began.

I used the drill.

Then an impact driver.

Then a significantly larger drill.

Then a router.  A router!



And finally.  The saw.

Which technically has a very long and fancy name because of all of the amazing cuts it can make.  But to me, it was simply something that I conquered.  As I chopped board after board I felt a power in the doing.  A power I never realized I possessed.  (Never mind the fashionable safety glasses, and ear plugs even!)


It was the same great guy, to whom I had handed the drill that first day, who taught me how to use the saw.  And each of those other tools.  He never asked if I knew how, or if I could, or even if I wanted to.  He simply said "this is what you are going to work on next," and he would show me how.

And so I would.

I am not sure if I would mark the "skilled" box next to my name just yet.  And I still spent quite a bit of time simply helping out:  holding boards, making needed markings with a Sharpie marker, fitting into other small spaces and fetching tools.  At least I knew what tools to get.




So yes, I'm discovering something pretty incredible.  I can use power tools.

And quite enjoy it, thank you very much.

6 comments:

  1. Claudine this is awesome!!! What a wonderful thing to learn and a wonderful project to be a part of! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic. You are welcome at our house anytime to help renovate! Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Cory's comment - YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yah!! you go girl! i'm completely impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!