Wednesday, June 15, 2011

the extras

It is pretty well documented on this blog that the kitchen is 99.9% my husband's domain.  And he is good, really good, in the kitchen.  Which means I am about the luckiest wife on the planet.

Where I definitely shine though, is in the little extras.  I am able to take just about anything crafty or creative or colorful and make it just a bit more so.  I like to think that I am the sparkle that brings it all together.



When we are planning a party or having company, my husband rules the kitchen and makes the most fabulous of menus.  But I perfect the rest:  pick the right linens, set place settings just so, add some colorful ribbons, create celebration signs.  You know, the sparkle.




So I am delighted to tell you that I have mastered a few little extras in the kitchen.  Yes, me, in the kitchen! 

We are talking banana bread, which gets made around here pretty often.  (After all, it is a nutritious snack, with the bananas and all.)

These extras are:
:: always adding in coarsely chopped dark chocolate, usually from the stash of candy bars in my purse.  You simply can't go wrong with adding chocolate!


:: and using granulated sugar in the pan instead of flour, making it almost crispy with sweetness on the bottom crust.


All around -- yum!  And I did it, sparkle in the kitchen!

What little extras do you like to do to make something special?

3 comments:

  1. oh my...now THAT looks like a morning, mid-morning, mid-afternoon, after-dinner, and late night snack. and if it were me...all in one day. banana bread doesn't last long in this neck of the woods. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE the Legos banner - what a neat idea! And the colors that you use to decorate and add the special touches stand out. It's a gift, you know! Love the new header as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always felt that you were the sparkle in our relationship too. Perhaps I could do the basics, but you made everything we worked on together even better! I love your creativity!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!