Tuesday, October 18, 2011

box of inspiration

Earlier this year I reconnected with an old friend of mine.  It had been over ten years since I had seen or  talked to her.  In the intricately wonderful way blogs work she found me through a comment and link I had left on Amanda Soule's blog in the spring.

What a fantastically small world, I say.

Recently when I shared with her the many exciting changes that are happening in our family: new job for hubby, staying at home full time for me, baby number four on the way; she insisted that I needed some inspiration as I journey into this new time of creativity and homemaking.

Last week I received a whole box of inspiration.  Twenty-nine, yes 29, sewing, knitting, paper-making, crafting and homemaking books arrived for me in the mail.  There was much squealing and cheering and jumping around our house for quite some time.  I squealed over the books.  The kids squealed over the bubble wrap the books came wrapped in.



I've been slowly making my way through the stack, book by book, soaking in the lovely pictures and projects, scheming what I might make first.  Oh so much to choose from!

Big Brother on the other hand selected a book right away and within an hour of opening the box was well into a project.  My young artist was following the templates free-hand to create these delightful paper animals.  Munchkin, as he does most days right now, wanted to do exactly the same.  Pretty good I think.





My friend included a book I've been wanting for a long, long time, unbeknown to her.  I figure if any book can, Keeping Chickens by Ashley English will convince me 100% that I do want to keep chickens, and the knowledge will help me convince Honey that he wants me to too.  (Or, it will give me just enough reality to know that perhaps I don't.)

I am still a bit overwhelmed by my re-found friend's sweet generosity, and her wanting to recognize this special time in my life.  I can't think of a better start to my pursuit of homemade creativity than having a personal library of books all for creating.  Especially when the usual routine was a handful of books from the public library in three-week increments. 

Inspiration indeed.

10 comments:

  1. WOW, what an amazing friend. I must admit I'm a just a teeny bit jealous. Those are all really great books. Excited for you and your new ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that's a pretty great present to receive in the post - I have book lust now looking at that fantastic stack - that's a true friend sort of gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. girl, that is called Manifesting!!!!!!
    fun!
    best of luck getting those chickens! Another friend of mine is trying to convince her husband of the same thing. If he expects you to do most of the coop cleaning, you may want to do it post-partum.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowee!! What a treasure chest filled with goodies. Husband and I have been talking for a while about getting chickens - we've got the room - I just don't want to take on a project that I can't commit to on a major level. Then again, sometimes you just gotta jump right in! Here's a great blog for inspiration:

    http://www.hencam.com/henblog/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I see God's hand in this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found you! I like what I see.

    How generous of your friend, and how inspiring and fun for you! You inspired ME to do this for someone else now.

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE CHICKENS! You will too... I just know it. I write about their antics every tuesday ( your Monday) on my blog... Feel free to have a look while you're reading your delicious book(s) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! that is unspeakably cool! you are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fantastic gifts!! Perfect for nesting yes?! Have a great time going through your new treasures!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, WOW! What a wonderful haul. Such a generous and special friendship.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!