Wednesday, October 19, 2011

rain, and rain

I've been wanting rain boots for a long time.  I have halfheartedly looked the last couple of years, but always seemed to miss boot season.  How is it that it seems to begin in July and ends in September?

This year I wasn't going to miss out, so I put it on my fall pleasures list, ensuring that I would finally get those much desired rain boots.

I, however, was not counting on so much rain.  Ahem.

Almost unstopping, heavy rain.

Our back yard looks like this. Oh sigh.


Soccer games look like this.  Oh the laundry.

After a good rain, the playground looks like this. Oh drat.



We learned the painful lesson that, when wet, the bumpy slide is oh so slick, propelling you off of the bottom at high speeds landing you in various positions quite a distance from the end.  This generally ends in tears and a quick exit to home.

All of this rain has kept us mostly inside.  But I am not quite ready to be mostly inside.  So today, we made friends with the rain.








Got to know the puddles.

Created new waterways.

Splashed until we were drenched, even under our coats.

The good news: I have cute new boots that are keeping my feet oh so warm and dry.  Which is good news indeed, the forecast is calling for even more.

8 comments:

  1. Nice! We love playing in the rain. Puddles are REALLY awesome.

    Love the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your boots!! I have been wanting a pair myself, but just haven't found a good reason yet. Maybe if you send some of that rain down here, that will work :).
    Glad you are getting a chance to break them in well!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ARE cute boots. Love the pic of the soccer mud bath! I, on the other hand, wear rain boots about 50% of the year. It's a surprisingly pleasant day when it doesn't rain (winter, spring, summer, and ESPECIALLY fall), and we just dress well and learn to live with it- the kids at the preschool I work at spend at least 3 hours a day outside, regardless of the weather (I think your 3 would fit it perfectly).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rainy days can be a lot of fun can't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your circle of words and images...how you began with the boots and ended with them. You made something wonderful out of the rain that just didn't stop—rain play and appreciation for finally having, and being able to use, those new boots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these photos and the fun you made of this not so fun weather. Good for you!

    My rain boots double as garden boots. They're not so cute as yours! My neighbor laughs each time I put them on and venture into the garden, sometimes knee deep in mud!

    Happy rainy season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how kids, with or without rain boots, see rain as an opportunity. "can we go for a puddle walk, mama?" I think rain boots for mamas, especially uber-cute ones like yours, simply increase the likelihood that we will say, "yes!!" enjoy the boots, and the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum boots! Rain rain rain! Enjoy the muddy puddles! Quigley

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!