Saturday, April 23, 2011

the basket bottoms

I fancy myself pretty crafty.   I can sew and have an eye for color and am blessed with creativity that lets me whip up fun projects and presents and cards with a few scrap materials.

But I am no match for my Mom.

Seriously, no match.

She made these Easter baskets.


Made, as in weaved them herself.

Somewhere along the line she learned how to basket weave.  So, being the Nonnie that she is, she has weaved an Easter basket for each of the grandchildren.  Nine in all.  Given to each on their first Easter.

{Big Brother's second Easter, pictures of his first Easter are hiding out with the eggs I think.}

{Munchkin's first Easter.}

{Lovey's first Easter.}

In each basket is a stuffed bunny my Mom had picked out.  A bunny is important, because her mother had given my sisters and I stuffed bunnies when we were little.

On the bottom of each basket is the child's name and year of their first Easter.  Along with "Love Nonnie."  The kids and I were reading those basket bottoms earlier today, as we get ready for Easter.  We were talking about how Nonnie has made baskets for all of the grandkids.

I think Big Brother described it best, "Now that's what I would call a lot of weaving."

You are right my dear son.  You are right.

A lot of weaving, with a lot of love.

Thanks Nonnie.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, those baskets are beautiful!!!! They look so well made and I love the size of them! Not the wimpy itty bitty baskets we are use to seeing. Lovely work Nonnie! And Happy Easter to you and all your family Claudine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you and your family have been so intentional about passing down the traditions and meanings you've made with each other. Thanks for inviting us in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traditions are so important. And you are fortunate to have your crafty-ness passed down from your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That is so amazing. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful gift. They will treasure those for years! So nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic tradition. What a good Nonnie for taking the time and effort to remember each grandchild. So are you thinking of taking up basket weaving yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is something really special! Sweet traditions and memories that they will cherish. The baskets are beautiful and I love how each bunny is a bit different.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!