Friday, December 23, 2011

celebrating solstice

 








This was our first time celebrating the winter Solstice, though I think I have always personally been aware of this day, encouraged that the light now begins to lengthen.

We spent the evening in simple, special ways:
:: making birdseed decorations for our Christmas Tree
:: dinner by candlelight, at 5:00 no less!
:: comfy new pajama pants for the kids
:: special luminaria in our living room fireplace
:: enjoying hot cocoa with peppermint sticks while reading Christmas books
:: reading the passage from Matthew 5, 13-16: in part "Let your light so shine..."

For me, Solstice was not only about the darkest day of the year, but more-so about the light that is in our lives and the light we bring to each other.

Happy Solstice my friends.  Thank you for bringing lightness to my life.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful start to Solstice celebrating!! We just started last year and I thought to myself, what took me so long?! Love the luminaries in the fireplace! Have a beautiful Christmas Claudine!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Claudine, your photos are beautiful. I love the candles in the Mason jars. I'll have to pick up my Bible and check out the Matthew passage. I'm thinking it's the pastor says at baptism?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We celebrated our first winter Solstice this year as well, with a roaring fire in the fireplace, dinner on the floor next to it, and reading of winter poems. We tried and failed at roasting chestnuts we'd gotten from the local CSA. I LOVE the idea of adding pajamas to this celebration.

    Happy Solstice to you my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!