Wednesday, December 8, 2010

elves

We've decorated for Christmas already.

That may not seem spectacular to some of you -- those who put seasonal touches out beginning right after Thanksgiving.  But in this house we tend to decorate the tree and put candles in each window a week or two before Christmas Day.

I guess we've never wanted to extend the season too early -- so that we could instead focus on the joy of Christmas Day all the way through Epiphany.

But this year is different.

This year we have elves.

Three in fact.

And they are pretty persistent.

And, it turns out, very good at decorating!

Now that I think of it, by waiting to decorate I maybe was putting to much "last minute" pressure on myself of having everything being done perfectly and perfectly fast.  In previous years I had to have every inch of the house cleaned before cracking open a box of decorations!

Not this year.  Dust bunnies welcomed!

Kids toys about.  Just fine!

Some things not exactly perfect.  Perfect!

And I found that I have enjoyed, really enjoyed the decorations already. 

We've sat in front of the tree sipping cocoa and reading Christmas books already. 

In previous years this wouldn't have happened until much later in the month and always with a bit of pressure along the lines of "oh my we haven't read many Christmas books yet -- someone make the cocoa and quick!"

So I thank my elves, who also happen to be the children I have birthed.

You are making my Christmas look soooo good.  In so many ways.

1 comment:

  1. We have always waiting until closer to Christmas to decorate as well; however, It is nice to have it done early. And I hear you about having the house clean! I have relaxed my standards much with the kids. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!