Wednesday, February 23, 2011

a wee bit icy

In all of my 39 years I have not seen anything like it.

I have seen ice storms.

I have seen sunny days.

I have never seen the two coincide quite this way.

An unassuming ice storm happening as we sleep, followed by a brilliant blue-skied sunny as the day is long day.

Trees normally brown are coated with sequins as if dressed for New Year's Eve.  Ladies in swishy gowns, arms extended out offering diamonds and glitter.





Some gracefully bowed down from the weight of their unending tinsel as if greeting Her Majesty.


And it is majestic.  White as far as the eye can see, glowing neon advertising nature's infinite surprise.

The beauty beckons, daring you not to succumb to the sparkle and shine.

It causes you to pause underneath the laden trees, creaking as a comfortable farmhouse, drip-dropping cold onto your face and camera lens pointed upward.

It causes you to ride with your car window down, in 28 degree weather, camera on lap, not wanting to miss a single breath-taking view,  afraid it will have melted the next pass this way.

A contrast to the usual February gray.  Even different from the jewel-toned fall that too can mesmerize.  Those colors come each year.




But these.  These cut crystal sparkle of Waterford on display, is for a limited time.

Once every thirty-nine years.

6 comments:

  1. What continues to amaze me is that you see beauty and wonder in places where others fail to look. Thank you for sharing your beauty and wonder so that those of us who haven't learned how to see, can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos. And your prose, so beautiful. I just love your blog! And I always know what type of weather is coming our way after reading it! We're in for an icy mix here tomorrow - and maybe some sunshine to follow so I can experience some of nature's wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos!! I love the icy wires. Ice seems so magical when it coats everything with a taste of winter.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! Here in Chagrin, we got plenty of ice, but not the blue sky!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!