Recently I was in a local pizza place waiting to pick up my pizza when a man came up to me and politely said, "I must ask you ma'am (ma'am, hrmph) why do you keep that pencil there? Is it to remember which is your left ear?"
I had a bright pink pencil behind my left ear, as I usually do. Sometimes the pencil is behind the left ear, sometimes behind the right ear, every once in awhile I realize I have pencils behind both.
The response that immediately came to mind was "Because I'm a writer."
But that is not what I said. I babbled a bit about how I keep a pencil handy and journals handy, going so far as to open my purse and pull out one of my beloved Moleskins, flipping it open to notes jotted inside, as if to show him that I actually do use the pencil behind my ear.
He gave me a smile and walked away.
Which left me wondering, why didn't I respond "Because I'm a writer."
I certainly think of myself as a writer. Just like I think of myself as a photographer. But whenever I share that information with others it comes out as "I take pictures" or "I do a little photography, just a bit on the side."
There is something shy and small and, perhaps, a bit embarrassing in saying so. I'm fearful in proclaiming:
"I'm a writer!" or "I'm a photographer!" or even "I'm a poet!"
How does someone become any one of those anyway? What determines that you have reached that status, filled that role? Who gets the say so?
And beyond a single role or passion or profession, how does someone fully become self? Truly, the wonderful, unique, voluminous, complex self?
That, my dear readers, is a bit what this blog is about. A space in which I write, photograph and tell stories of my becoming self. becoming claudine. And by your reading and responding, this journey of becoming is infinitely more enjoyable. After all, isn't it that way, especially with women. Making meaning through the act of story telling and the joy of relationships.
So it is with much pleasure that this week I am hosting three guest bloggers, each sharing a personal reflection on her own becoming. And each approaching this topic in a unique and thoughtful way.
I hope you enjoy hearing their stories as much as I do. After all, can't we all be part of helping others make meaning by listening to their stories, and allowing for the joy of relationship?
so wonderful! looking forward to this week here at becoming claudine. :)
ReplyDeleteThis resonated deeply with me Claudine. I can remember the moment with clarity that I stopped calling myself a writer and changed my "dream". But... deep in my heart, I still want to write. Perhaps that's one reason I blog? Anyway... all that to say that this was beautiful. You are who you are. And I am so glad to have "met" you as we both write through our days.
ReplyDeleteClaudine, I can so relate. Even now, after publishing stories in both newspapers and magazines, I have a very hard time calling myself a writer. I say "I've written for a newspaper" or "I've written for a magazine." So if the act of publishing does not make one "a writer," what does? It's got come from your gut, from the depths of your soul, that knowing...and once we know we should proclaim it from the mountaintops!
ReplyDeleteI agree, and YES, and oh, it's hard sometimes to see ourselves isn't it? I love and truly connect with your thoughts here. I love the three 'becoming' posts. I love the name of your blog and all it represents. I am loving getting to know you through your words and beautiful photographs. And I love that you had a pencil behind your ear at the shops! (I did this all the time at Uni, and my boyfriend would say, "You look like a greengrocer." Did I care? No. Greengrocers are lovely—all that fruit and green around them. But I digress!).
ReplyDeleteIt's wonderful to find you through MJ. So nice to find another person whose journey feels so similar to mine (so much wondering, reflecting, appreciating, and discovering to do!). I actually wrote a whole post recently about the journey of Becoming for a child (and for me, too), so this post, and this lovely series, resonates all the way through to my bones. Thank you so much, Claudine :)
I haven't become yet, I feel, love reading your blog
ReplyDelete