Thursday, March 17, 2011

redecorating

We've gotten a new couch in the dining room.

Yes, I said dining room.

Though I should be a little bit more accurate here.  It is not quite a new couch.  Though the location in the dining room is very new.

It is a hand-me down couch.  Handed down over 14 years ago.

From my husband's grandmother, before he was my husband.  Before he was even my fiance, I got his grandmother's very comfortable couch.  Which just so happens to have peach-colored bird upholstery.  So the this hand-me down couch has been called The Perch in our family all of these years.

And I guess the name is fitting.  We've perched quite a bit on that couch.  It is really quite comfortable.  Even at its age.

However, three moves and three kiddos later, that bird upholstery is more duct tape patching than bird-song, so it is time for us to say good-bye.

So The Perch is waiting to be handed down again.  This time to my sister, who is planning on having it re-upholstered.  Which makes me so happy.  It will still be in the family.

But while it waits for a good moving day, we've moved it to the dining room.  I pulled out an old slipcover we used to use on it.  And I must say, it looks good.

Really good.

The kids are lobbying for it to stay there.

Forever.

They have grown quite accustomed to the luxury of simply adding some throw pillows from the living room couch, sliding the dining room table a bit to the side and eating dinner in style and comfort!

(Don't worry Sister, I keep telling them it is temporary.)

But in the meanwhile, we are enjoying the delightful surprise of a comfortable sunny spot by the window.  So I am happy that The Perch is getting a bit of a last hurrah send-off from us.  Because all of those years ago, when I said I would take that bird-covered couch, I did not, could not, have imagined where we would be in our lives when it came time for us to send it on its way.  So I guess I am grateful for the perspective that darn old couch has given me too.

1 comment:

  1. We re-upholstered one of my husband's grandparents chairs and it is my favorite piece of furniture. Good to hear that the old couch will be loved once again!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!