Sunday, March 25, 2012

from big brothers and sister



As I've neared the birth of each of my children, I've felt the need to make.  Make something as an act of mothering or welcoming, or maybe just a productive way of waiting.  That making has usually included sewing.

This nearing has been no different, but with the sense that it would be fun to include these now older siblings.  So a stop at a local fabric store that I've been wanting to visit gave the perfect making inspiration.

The design of this rag quilt is very forgiving, so the kids easily could do the top stitching of the squares and the sewing together of the strips.  Ultimately I snipped all of the raw edges to give the texture, so any unevenness was easily hidden.  The kids even created their own designs with fabric markers on several squared that were included.


And possibly the best part of the whole project was that once the blanket was done, Munchkin Spidey woke up the next morning and said "let's sew something for the baby."  Warms a Mama's heart, that does.

So he did.  And what a lucky baby this little one will be.

2 comments:

  1. I love how creative and involved your kids are. Every time a read a post where you've so intentionally drawn them in, I think of a workshop we presented on "involvement" and I love that this is how you've chosen to mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that they made him a blanket! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!