Sunday, January 16, 2011

commence pillow making

I had a moment yesterday, one that I have had a few times so far as a parent, and one that I imagine will be repeated time and time again as my children grow.

I was upstairs, attending to a just-waking Baby Sister, when I heard the sewing machine humming.

The sound, almost startling, made me pause.  Pause and amaze.  This sound was the sound of my son using the sewing machine.  On.  His.  Own.

Over the years, and even as recently as last week, we have sewn together. 

Over the years he has also learned how to thread the machine, use the reverse lever and pressure foot, pin and cut with patterns, push the necessary buttons to fill the bobbin.  But this, this was the first time he was using the machine by himself.

So the sound gave me pause and a touchstone for how my child is growing.  Each day.

He was sewing pillows.  Pillows for the heroes who have come to be part of our lives here.


I am happy to report they are settling in quite well, I think mostly because their sleeping arrangements are so so comfortable with handmade pillows.

Pillow-making for more heroes (and, ugh, villains) yet to be gotten is underway.  I imagine blanket-making is next.

And this most creative boy.  I think he has some apprentices.


4 comments:

  1. This is such a darling post! It had me grinning from ear to ear. I hope to teach my son how to sew one day as well. I'm not sure if you read this blog already, but I noticed Whipstitch is having a sewing for kids series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic. Independence is so wonderful for them (and yet a little scary for us!!)
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!