Monday, January 10, 2011

my word {2011}

I've been doing a great deal of thinking about my word.

My word of the year.

Last fall I wrote about my word for 2010.

I find it fascinating, and humbling, to get myself to one word.

One that will become a meditation, a mantra, a prayer.

I had a word all picked out earlier this week.  Had a blog post all written about the word.

Then changed my mind.  (Hmmm, maybe my word needs to be uncertain?)

So I saved the blog post as a draft and have continued brainstorming words.

This seems like an important year for me.  I've given myself something of a time frame to be intentionally reflective.  Intentionally forward moving.  Intentionally becoming.  Becoming the woman I am intended to be.

Not that I am not who I am right now.  I am.  I am the me of this particular time in my life, but I also recognize that as a Mama, a professional, a wife that it is easy to be so busy busy busy in each of these roles that the role of self doesn't take the time to be still.

Be still.

Be quiet.

Listen to the heart.

Oh, and most importantly, then heed the heart.

So this year's word seems like a rather important one, don't you think?

My sister recently gave me this small stone with this wonderful little quote from Rumi.  I have it on my kitchen window sill so I can see it many times a day.  (After all, I am at the sink, washing dishes many times a day.)

I believe in many ways this quote moves me towards, and through, the year ahead.  It gives me courage and encouragement.

Wondering what word I have finally chosen?  Well, I haven't quite yet.

I've considered many.

I am most considering either the word purpose or the word meaning.  I like them both.

But just as I will give my inner self time and quiet this year, I am also giving my word a wee bit of space.  So I will let you know when my word is chosen.  After all, like last year, I will have to create something that bears my word, and that creation will surely be shared here.

What word would you choose for yourself?

7 comments:

  1. Goodness, just one word.

    I think that my word for this year would have to be something along the lines of breathe or savor. Yes, savor seems to be a good one.

    For now, with another babe on the way, I find myself busied and bothered by the many lists in my mind and the many tasks (some completely unnecessary) that I want to get done. If I took the time to breathe or savor the moments that I'm in, I'm sure I'd be feeling a whole lot less anxious and a whole lot more fulfilled by all that is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I could come up with 1 word. Maybe a word for the week? I know that's very short sighted, but it's probably the best I could do. It's a wonderful idea, though. Maybe I'll spend some time this week contemplating this. Darn you for making me think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have chosen the word "peace" as my inspiration for 2011. I am looking for peace within myself, so that I may see beauty in everything.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on choosing a word for yourself. Have you considered "journey"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never hear of anyone doing this before. But, I love the idea of one word. It is amazing how such a small and simple thing can be so galvanizing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. simplicity.
    i vow to simplify my life even more so. to slow down. to listen. to be still. to be ever present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a word person, I LOVE this. And since my goal this year is to get my manuscript finished, my word is resilience. Overcoming adversity. Overcoming the inevitable rejection that comes with publishing. I just blogged about my daughter's resilience, and how I can learn so much from her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading the different words that you have thought of.

    It is an interesting way of framing our year isn't it?

    I do like the idea of the word journey -- all of us are on a journey is so many ways!

    I am also thinking about other new words...I love words!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave kind and thoughtful comments. I hope to expand our worlds by creating positive feeling and inspiration. Thanks!